Explorers (overnight session for teens 13- early 20's)
The Explorers program is designed to support teens through the difficult transition to adulthood.
This session is intended for teens that need help learning some or all of the following skills:
- Clear communication in a team environment
- Pre-vocational and vocational skills (punctuality, accountability, taking initiative etc)
- Organization skills (Independent lists and schedules)
- Networking, applying, and interviewing for new jobs
- Sustainable exercise routines
- Basic cleaning
- Identifying and responding to directions in different formats (direct verbal, implied verbal, direct written, and implied written)
Explorers sleep 8 to a cabin along with 2-3 counselors per cabin. Bathroom/shower sections are inside the cabins. We eat family-style in a cafeteria, and we accommodate many different eating styles, including gluten-free, casein-free diets, pork-free diets, etc.
This program is open to children and young adults 13- early 20's who are ready to create resumes, or practice interviewing for jobs can work on those skills, while teens who are establishing their pre-vocational skills (such as taking initiative and asking for clarification) will develop those in a variety of settings. We work in small groups, with low ratios, so that teens get a lot of personal attention. All of the summer programs at Dragonfly Forest are super fun – and even our skill-building session retains the best parts of summer camp: good friends, lots of laughs, and an overwhelming feeling of belonging somewhere.